I'm a fighter, not a lover.

Friday, October 14, 2005

People seem to be worried about my ability to function as an adult

And while that concern may indeed be warranted, I thought I was doing a pretty good job of hiding it: tucking my laces into my shoes instead of demonstrating my inability to tie knots; willingly getting lost instead of admitting defeat and pulling out a subway map in public; refusing to ride any bus out of fear that the bus operator will yell at me for incorrectly inserting my MetroCard (again).

First, a high school friend tried to get me to email her little sister. A little sister who allegedly crushed on me way back in the day. A little sister that I am having great difficulty picturing older than 13. A little sister who apparently got tired of waiting for my email and contacted me first. I replied today and immediately felt like I needed a shower.

And now, I find an email from a cousin of a Salt Lake acquaintance waiting for me in my inbox; someone who I have never met, but is wondering how I am settling into the city.

I kind of feel like Kramer on the episode of Seinfeld in which he receives too much novocaine, walks around wearing the strength-training jump sneakers and is serenaded to by Mel Tormei because he is so "independent."

If anyone is available tonight, I'll need help eating and bathing.
Thanks in advance.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara Z. said...

I'm going to e-mail my Brooklyn friend right now and have him bring you over a pot of soup!

6:13 PM

 
Blogger Kathy said...

That is EXACTLY why I do not ride the bus. I was so embarassed.

7:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home