I'm a fighter, not a lover.

Friday, December 03, 2004

MP, meet BD

In 1999, John Lurie (of the Lounge Lizards) created an alter ego named Marvin Pontiac and released his lost recordings.

The legendary Marvin Pontiac’s “Greatest Hits,” was released on the Strange & Beautiful Music label five years back. I picked it up yesterday. When I saw it, I recognized the cover art immediately, but I couldn’t place it exactly.



The story is, it’s the long lost recordings of a roots rock great and that somehow, twenty years after his death (killed by a bus, naturally), the tapes have surfaced. I couldn’t figure out why I knew this record that I had never listened to before, but looked forward to giving it a listen and doing some research. And now, of course, I remember. Crazy John Lurie released this funny-ass, bluesy record under pseudonym, except that he took it a step further than simply creating a pen name. If you have a second, please check out the bio on Mr. Pontiac; it is the life that any good roots rocker should lead.

My personal favs:
His disdain and mistrust of the music business is well documented and he soon fell out with Acorn's owner, Norman Hector. Although, approached by other labels, Marvin refused to record for anyone unless the owner of the label came to his home in Slidell, La and mowed his lawn.

Reportedly Marvin's music was the only music that Jackson Pollack would ever listen to while he painted, this respect was not reciprocated.


I have an alter ego, too, though not nearly as well developed as Lurie’s. His name is BabyDaddy (one word, capitalized “B,” capitalized “D”). While the bio is not complete, I will tell you this: his voice is deep, as is his soul and his appreciation for pirate-speak. Oh, and he beats the girls off with a stick. Literally.

Well, maybe not literally. Let’s say, he gently taps the girls away with a well-padded stick. Literally.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think we're all guilty of having an alter ego. Mine is an uber-confident man-eater named Kathryn. She wears fur stoles and wobbles around on Manolo Blahniks while her posse of men trails meakly after her. She's fabulous but much meaner than I am.

5:03 PM

 
Blogger DMo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:03 PM

 
Blogger DMo said...

I dig the alternate spelling of Kathryn. Good choice.

7:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, though I can't take credit for it. It's my middle name, a name that I've always liked but haven't really figured out how to incorporate into my daily life.

11:31 AM

 
Blogger Sara Z. said...

Mine (okay, one of mine - there are at least five) is Gingersnap. She is a bartender punk with eight tattoos and a foul mouth. She sleeps until one in the afternoon, smokes like a chimney, and would never consider serious dating, let alone marriage. Despite her career as a bartender, she somehow manages to have a bottomless supply of money which she keeps in a numbered bank account in Switzerland and uses to regularly travel to Chicago, NYC, London, and Paris. To say she is not a people-pleaser would be a gross understatement. She doesn't need friends, a regular job, or a Social Security number.

4:40 PM

 
Blogger Sara Z. said...

You know what's creepy? Not only do Sarah and I have the same first name and the same number of syllables in our first-name/last-name combo, but my middle name is also Catherine. Spelled the usual way. The question is, which one of us is the real Sara(h) and which one is the bizarro-world Sara(h)?

4:46 PM

 
Blogger DMo said...

"Elaine, (pause) can I come?"

"Sorry. We already have a George."

5:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home