I'm a fighter, not a lover.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Yap yap yap

So, last week, Google introduced Talk. I downloaded it that day and bought an internet headset that night.

Many blogs far more technical than this one have discussed it at length, so I don't plan to do that. As my co-worker Mark has pointed out, what Google has produced this time around is by no means revolutionary; there are several programs available that do everything that Talk does, and some of which, like Mark's fav, Skype, that do far more. But here's the thing: People know Google. People like Google. I have a chance -- albeit a small one -- of convincing my family to join in on Talk. I have no chance of convincing them of the benefits of a program like Skype.

In case you've been living in a hole, here's why I heart Talk:

Essentially, it's an instant messaging program, but unlike AIM, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger, etc., its interface is clean and simple. No ads. Nothing fighting for my attention and taking it away from the conversation I'm having. I also like the way it stacks the conversations. Talk is also interchangeable (allegedly) with a handful of the cooler, lesser-used IM programs, including Apple's iChat. And of course, Talk offers very basic, but great-sounding, VoIP. What's that mean to someone like me who is not incredibly techie? You can use Talk in place of your telephone as the program sends your voice and conversation to another Talk user as data. In other words, free-mother-effin-long-distance.

Talk allows you to open an IM conversation with a friend and choose between sending her an IM, email or a call. All you need is an internet headset (mine cost $14.99) or a mic and speakers.
The only catch: you need a gmail login, which you can get here if you don't have one already. Then, download Talk here. Spread the love. Let me know your gmail name. I'll call you. We'll do lunch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara Z. said...

I've got Skype, but the interface is, IMHO, clunky has hell. OTOH, for mere hundredths of a Euro, I can call regular phones, or get a phone number in almost any area code for 30 eu/year. But do I need those things? I don't know. The latest Yahoo! Messenger has voice & voice mail, and a familiar, easy interface. Google (of course) looks cooler and (of course) I'll get it because I have to have EVERYTHING, but then I gotta get all my homies to switch over. My family (of course) is mostly still using tin cans and string, so this will be of no use to them.

4:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home