I'm a fighter, not a lover.

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

My tea bag

I will not use the "S-word," just as Bill Simmons refrains from doing, but tonight could be a historic night. And why shouldn't it be? I've been waiting for this pretty much since I first became cognizant. I was raised to be a sports fan and in that respect, have failed my father, but I am a Sox fan -- albeit, one that is 2300 miles displaced.

The last two Octobers, both of which I have spent here in Salt Lake City, have been distressful and mostly sleepless affairs. In fact, I didn't begin sleeping better this month until the World Series began -- that doesn't even make sense.

Now, I don't want to waste my time or your's describing to you what a Red Sox championship would mean to me, what I would sacrifice for it, what superstitions I practice to bring it about, who I wish I were spending it with, or even why the very word "October" makes me tense. There are too many other stories out there, most probably far better than mine, but I will tell you about one of my most recent quirks.

I have a tea bag!

Of course, I hesitate to refer to said tea bag as lucky, but it IS undefeated. The Sox/Yankees ALCS will no doubt go down as one of the most amazing comebacks of all time, and truth be told, it deserves such reverence. Now, for game five of that series, I headed to my old residence to watch the game with fellow Sox fans and fellow Massholes. My voice was hoarse from the previous games, so, always being prepared, I packed a tea bag to enjoy.

Except, that it never left my back pocket. Since then, the silly tea bag (still in its packaging, of course) has been in my back left pocket for every game of the ALCS and the World Series and the majority of the time in between.

Who knew that so much could rely on a single tea bag?

3 Comments:

Blogger J said...

love your work. riveting.

11:40 AM

 
Blogger Sara Z. said...

But what *kind* of tea is it? Your basic pekoe? Genmaicha? Darjeeling? Or one of those teas called Vanilla Voyage or Headache Helper or PMS Pal? Do tell. It might be important.

3:04 PM

 
Blogger DMo said...

Tazo's Calm. MMM.

12:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home